Monday, November 24, 2008

Scared of the Internet

Personally, I am scared to buy products over the internet because I feel as if my accounts will be hacked into. Not only do you hear about it through ads on the internet itself, but I hear about it on tv ads and people in the public. I do have my online banking through Bank of America, however most of the time I feel like someone is still hacking into the online banking and is able to distract and take funds. I know this is highly unlikely but millions of identities are stolen every year through means of the internet. Recently I just sold my laptop and two people trying to buy it were scammers. They would tell me they submitted money to my PayPal account, however they did not and still wanted me to pay for shipping to send it to them in a foreign country. It made me extremely uncomfortable, so I did not sell the computer to either one of the people. I am not very smart with computers overall and especially not with the abilities of the internet like most people know.

Another aspect about privacy on the internet is how people using the dating services have made up identities. There are a lot of mistaken facts about people and their features. Men make up height and weight features as well as women, and sometimes some sick minded people even get on the internet and completely lie about their gender. This to me is the most inhumane thing one could come across. I know if I were using one of the dating services provided somewhere on the internet I would be disgusted to find out I had been sharing feelings and trying to get close to woman that turned out to be a male. These are things that should be monitored, however I do not know how this could or will be protected, but should fall somewhere in the privacy category of the internet.

1 comment:

fadom87 said...

The internet can be a pretty scary place. No matter how much you’ve communicated with someone over the net you can never be 100% sure of who they really are, unless you meet them in real life. It certainly is a lot easier to have the nerves to commit illicit acts on the internet than in real life, due to the fact that the user can be as anonymous as he/she wants to be. What’s even worse is that the internet is a global phenomenon. If a person was to commit a crime to another person living in another country via the internet, it would be very difficult to bring justice on that person, unless the two countries already have some sort of policy regarding this. In regards to the faking the gender issue, I hate it too. If relationships are built on trust, then those who do this already discredit themselves when they lie about an important thing such as gender. Unfortunately, the security and privacy the internet provides allow people to pervert it and trick people.